Outgoing President's Report to the AGM on June 14, 2011
Please click here to read the report given by outgoing President Mark W. Gallop at our Annual General Meeting on June 14, 2011.
Here is an excerpt:
"Our National Historic Site status was awarded not just because of our building but to reflect the evolution and continuity of the activities that happen here. I often stop to read the words carved over the circulation desk 90 years ago: 'The Object of This Institute is to afford instruction and knowledge in the Arts, Sciences and Industries'. This defining statement still speaks to our sense of education and outreach to the community. We are proud of our roots and always seek out ways to honour them, as has been done so splendidly tonight with the opening of our new archival exhibit curated by Edward McCann."
Please click here to read the report given by then President Mark W. Gallop at our Annual General Meeting on May 18, 2010.
In the Media
- A story in the October 2, 2012 issue of the Westmount Independent headlined "Memory space exhibit is on at Atwater Library until Oct. 7"
- A story in the October 2, 2012 issue of the Westmount Independent headlined "Atwater Library launches monthly Alzheimer café"
- A story in the August 9, 2012 issue of the Community Contact headlined "Financial Donation to Atwater Library: Black Collection to be Expanded and Promoted"
- On March 8, 2012, for INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY, Concordia University Television (CUTV) Arts+Culture covered author Merrily Weisbord's talk at the Atwater Library on The Love Queen of Malabar: Memoir of a Friendship with Kamala Das. Click here to watch the video: The Love Queen of Malabar @ Atwater Library
- The January 14, 2012 issue of The Gazette featured a story by our historian, Susan McGuire, on one of the founders of our organization, Rev. Henry Esson: Scottish immigrant was a force in English-language education
- A story in the December 21-22, 2011 issue of the Westmount Independent headlined "Foundation of Greater Montreal awards Atwater Library $15K to start eBook service"
- The Saturday, October 8, 2011 issue of The Gazette featured a major spread on the Atwater Library with ten drawings by Aislin, the award-winning political cartoonist and author, and text by award-winning reporter Marian Scott. Click to see Montreal Gazette A1 and Montreal Gazette B4, B5.
- Susan McGuire, historian of the Atwater Library of the Mechanics' Insitute of Montreal has another interesting article about one of our early members, in The Gazette: Elocution, phrenology, homeopathy: Dr. Barber taught them all.
- The August 23-24, 2011 issue of the Westmount Independent features a terrific picture of our successful Lawn Book Sale and BBQ : http://www.westmountindependent.com/WIv5.8d.pdf (scroll down to page 4)
- An August 5, 2011 Concordia University Television (CUTV Montréal) interview with Atwater Library volunteer Edward McCann about the archival exhibit he curated, "For my dear Atwater": http://www.cutvmontreal.ca/shows/artsculture.html - starts at about 4:15 and ends at 8:00
- P.A. Sévigny's terrific article about the Library and our archives exhibit in The Suburban of June 22, 2011
- Susan McGuire, historian of the Atwater Library of the Mechanics' Insitute of Montreal has an interesting article about one of our early members, in the Montreal Gazette: Civic-minded Cleghorn ran one of city's first commercial nurseries.
- The Aislin cartoon in The Gazette on June 11, 2011 focused on the Atwater Library in counterpoint to the Grand Prix!
- Westmount Independent article dated May 10-11, 2011 on our Digital Literacy Program
- Westmount Independent article dated May 10-11, 2011 on our Lunchtime Series talk by Louise Abbott
- Westmount Examiner article dated April 6, 2011 on our Scrabble FUNdraiser event
- Westmount Examiner article dated March 23, 2011 on our Silent Movie Screening (With Live Piano Accompaniment)
- Westmount Independent article dated March 8-9, 2011 on our Books Roadshow event
- Story on our home delivery service in the February 2011 issue of QWrite, the newsletter of the Quebec Writers' Federation: Home Delivery Service_QWrite_Feb2011
- Mike Boone's column in The Gazette of February 25, 2011 about our Lunchtime Series talk by Dr. Frank Myron Guttman
- Montreal Mirror article dated January 27, 2011 on the Imani Gospel Singers "making noise at the Atwater Library" during Black History Month.
- Westmount Independent article dated June 8-9, 2010 on Atwater Library President Mark Gallop
- Westmount Independent and Westmount Examiner stories on Lunchtime Series talk by writer Elizabeth Waterston on June 3, 2010
- Columnist Mike Boone’s article in The Gazette of March 10, 2010 on our downtown home delivery service
- The Gazette article by Mike Boone dated December 11, 2009 on our wonderful Digital Literacy Project